Pumpkin Stuffed Shells with Tomato Cream Sauce

Hello MySweets,

I was invited to my Good Friend Jessica's Pre-Thanksgiving Potluck Party last night, and was asked to bring my favorite fall dish.

At this time of year, gourds and pumpkins are particularly abundant.  The aroma of the spices that enhance their flavor is my favorite part of cooking during the fall season.  So, for a new application of the leftover Pumpkin filling from my Pierogies, I decided on Pumpkin Stuffed Shells.  These unique shells were a huge hit and we all had a great time, probably because there was soo much food.

This is one of my more rich recipes, so use this on a day where your calorie intake isn't important to you (ie: a holiday or a cheat day)   This picture makes me want to indulge and arouse those taste buds!



You can see the Tomato Cream Sauce fills the bottom of the pan and is then drizzled across the top of the shells.  Doing this will ensure that your shells do not dry out as they bake.

While, I love my recipe for whole wheat dough, I also suggest that when it comes to shells,
Ronzoni does it best.

So, instead of making my own pasta this time, I took a shortcut here and boiled some Ronzoni Jumbo Shells.  I find they are the easiest to fill.  






To make your own, you will need the following:

2 Boxes Uncooked Jumbo Pasta Shells (approximately 40 shells)
2 foil Lasagna Pans
All of the ingredients listed on my Pumpkin Pierogie/Stuffed Shell/Ravioli filling recipe
All of the ingredients listed on my Tomato Cream Sauce recipe

INSTRUCTIONS:

STEP 1:  Use my Pumpkin Pierogie/Stuffed Shell/Ravioli filling recipe to make the filling for your Stuffed Shells.  Set aside in the refrigerator to cool and set.

STEP 2: Boil a large pot of water and add a pinch of salt.  The pot must be deep and full enough to cover all of the shells, so don't be stingy with your water supply: Too much is better than too little.  Once the water comes to a rumbling boil, you may add the uncooked shells.  Stir often so that they do not stick together.  TIP: Add a drop of olive oil to your water so the pasta will be less likely to stick together.  Allow them to cool before filling them.

STEP 3:  Fill the Shells:  Fill a large piping bag with the Pumpkin filling and remove excess air.  The shells should be cool enough to the touch so that you can use the piping bag to fill the shells by hand.  Lay the filled shells on a sheet of waxed paper until you are ready to make your cream sauce.

STEP 4:  Make the Cream Sauce by following my Tomato Cream Sauce Recipe.

STEP 5:  BAKE:  Line the foil pans with half of the cream sauce.  Use a spatula to evenly coat the pans.  Place each of the stuffed shells in the pans and then drizzle the remaining cream sauce over the shells.  Cover the trays with tin foil before baking for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees.


TIP: I like to put aside some sauce to put in a gravy boat as a dipping sauce for those who would like a little extra at serving time.

Don't forget to email me or comment on this blog to let me know your thoughts! I love feedback <3


Bon AppeTWEET,
Stephanie




Comments