Basil Pesto Cubes

Hello Foodies <3

Note:   For all my Portion Fix Foodie Friends I count each cube as 1tsp!

Read about my love of Pesto, below! 😃


Basil is a STAPLE in every Italian kitchen and can be used in so many varieties.  For example, you can purchase it dried from the seasonings aisle at the supermarket, fresh from the ground, boiled into soups and sauces, etc.  My favorite way to use Basil, though, is PESTO!!!

It is simply a paste (hence the name "Pesto") of raw ingredients like garlic, cheese, oil and herbs.  A pesto need not be based on the basil leaf, but it is my personal favorite!

(TIP: Did you ever think of making a MINT pesto for desserts? Hmm 🤔)

The only downfall to Pesto sauce is that it is a fresh sauce which does not get cooked.  Since it isn't cooked, and pasteurization isn't realistic when making food at home, the leftovers can become garbage in a day or two!

I am a firm believer in keeping healthy, and I think that eating contaminated food is never worth risking your health. I always err on the side of caution and throw away anything questionable.  I have already wasted THREE batches of my pesto, which is truly unfortunate!  I do not like to waste food because leftovers can usually go a pretty long way in helping keep you and your family fed all week long, ultimately minimizing your workload.

This is why I am also a big advocate for FREEZING foods.  I love warehouse stores like BJ's and COSTCO because they offer a great value.  But if you don't use it, you're gonna lose it!  The best way to get the greatest value from these wholesale clubs is to buy in bulk, and then freeze your products for use later on.  My Freezer is ALWAYS stocked heavier than my fridge!

Freezing is a great option for any food, ESPECIALLY pesto!  Since I often use pesto in small bits for my recipes, I decided that I could not only freeze it to reduce waste, but also break it into smaller portions for a convenient additive that is fresh and clear unwanted of preservatives.

This way, instead of making the pesto EVERY time you need it for a recipe, you can use it a little at a time to save yourself valuable time and money!

And here you have it....



VOILA! I portioned out the sauce into an ice cube tray! Then I covered it with saran wrap, and popped it in the freezer to call it a day!  Now I will have fresh pesto, whenever I want it, without having to worry that it has sat too long in the fridge.


If you love Basil like I do, please hurry and read my other recipes that include Basil as a pesto, fresh ingredient, or garnish:


Bon AppeTweet,

Stephanie


Comments

Post a Comment